[packagekit] QT bindings : restart from scratch, but they're coming back :-p

Adrien BUSTANY madcat at mymadcat.com
Fri Oct 19 16:09:07 PDT 2007

Richard Hughes a écrit :
> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 00:47 +0200, Adrien BUSTANY wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>> I recently received a mail from Kevin Krammer, a KDE developper. He told
>> me than binding libpackagekit by wrapping the functions and the glib
>> loop inside Qt was not the best thing, and said that using the DBus
>> interface would be cleaner and would make it easier for KDE devs to use
>> the lib.
>>

> Sure. This means I have to be more careful with the DBUS interface
> API :-)

A documentation would be really nice. pk-applications's code's quite
readable, but a real doc would be a plus. OTOH, once we get a Gtk and a
Qt interface, maybe it won't be of great interest...

>> As I don't wan't to write some unusable, unmaintainable piece
>> of software I started the bindings again, from scratch, using the DBus
>> interface. I fighted a bit with some C++ things, but I finally managed
>> to get the skeleton of the lib, and implemented search (with filters) as
>> an example. I used my interface mockup (which will become the real
>> interface) to command the lib.
>>

> Cool.
>

>> I now need to tell the interface to put the results in a model (they're
>> printed to the console for now), and I'll be more or less done for
>> search (I'll have to implement groups, but yum doesn't seem to support
>> them). Then I'll list the function present in libpackagekit and
>> implement them in the Qt bindings.
>>

> There's no need to do them all, libpackagekit is a convenience library
> after all. I would only do the ones you use.

Yep. For now my approach has been : I want to implement function x,
which depends on y and z, so bind z, y, then x. Maybe I can continue
that way.

>> I'll also have to implement the
>> policykit bits, I know there's a policykit-gnome package but I don't
>> know if there's one for KDE (I'm a GNOME user).
>>

> What's the KDE naming policy? Do you want to create a QT binding for the
> lib and a KPackageKit for the UI bits? Reusing QPackageKit would be
> great.

No idea. I don't want to create a KPackageKit for now, as I said I'm a
GNOME user, I don't even have KDE libs installed on my box. QPackageKit
is a lib and a frontend, the lib will be easily reusable if KDE devs
want to extend the interface. So I'm sticking to QPackageKit.

>> That's all for today, see you for the next report :-)
>>

> Keep up the good work :-)

I'm very motivated. I got some schoolwork in Ada, it's quite a pain :-)
C++ unwinds me...
> Richard.

Adrien