[packagekit] some more impressions

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 15:22:22 PDT 2007

Today I had the chance to  watch packagekit perform an update.

I'm not entirely convinced that the double progressbar is more
informative than confusing. If you want to keep it, there are some
details that need improvement:

- I saw the "part" progressbar go to 100% several times without the description
changing; it always stayed at "libuser".

- Later on, I saw the full summary line of the gedit package show up
as the description, which made the dialog resize. I think it would be
better to keep it
to just the package name for this: Downloading gedit/Installing
gedit/Cleaning up gedit

- For downloading, every package was treated as a separate part, while
for installing and cleaning up, that seemed to be not the case

- The terminology for the cleanup part is less than ideal: "Removing"
might make people wonder if the package updater runs wild and removes
their applications.
"Cleaning up" sounds move less alarming

Matthias