[packagekit] some more impressions

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 15:35:26 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 18:22 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Today I had the chance to  watch packagekit perform an update.
>
> I'm not entirely convinced that the double progressbar is more
> informative than confusing. If you want to keep it, there are some
> details that need improvement:

Feedback is great, thanks.

> - I saw the "part" progressbar go to 100% several times without the description
> changing; it always stayed at "libuser".

Yes, I see this too. if you do
sudo /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/update-system.py you should get a
"package downloading foo;bar;baz" for each new download, but don't. Tim
- do you see this too?

> - Later on, I saw the full summary line of the gedit package show up
> as the description, which made the dialog resize. I think it would be
> better to keep it
> to just the package name for this: Downloading gedit/Installing
> gedit/Cleaning up gedit

Sure, that's sane. Fixed in 1d7bf06d603b7fe9d57e4e63d3d8ca875f3fdf43

> - For downloading, every package was treated as a separate part, while
> for installing and cleaning up, that seemed to be not the case

Sure, that's a backend thing - it's up to the backend to define what
sub-transactions are in the bigger transaction.

> - The terminology for the cleanup part is less than ideal: "Removing"
> might make people wonder if the package updater runs wild and removes
> their applications.
> "Cleaning up" sounds move less alarming

Hmm, I never thought of this. Maybe we need an explicit enum "cleanup"
rather than "removing" when yum is updating. Can yum distinguish the
difference between removing a package, and removing an old version due
to an upgrade?