[packagekit] Handling of License Prompts

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 11:10:16 PDT 2007

On 11/09/2007, Justin Haygood <jhaygood at reaktix.com> wrote:
> Well, how it works with zypp is that there's no console text or anything.
> Each frontend to zypp basically handles a callback from the zypp library.
> Zypper (command line) shows it on the console, YaST and zen shows it in a UI
> popup, etc... Would this work? Basically.. packagekit can inform the
> frontend of the license, and if the license is an EULA license, and the
> license text (as taken from the backend), the frontend can then decide to
> handle the case? Granted, this is the one backend I know of which explicitly
> supports licenses, etc.. though

Okay, do you mean the backend should emit a signal
LicenceNotice(s=string) during the transaction, and then the UI gets
shown at the end of the transaction? If so this is easy to add.

Or do you mean put the licence into the Description signal, something
like adding a:

s=licence and
s=eula

And therefor the user has to agree to it before the transaction is
queued, and can be shown in the package UI?

If you have the licence and eula when the package is _not_ installed
then this is okay, but we ovb. can't do this if the eula is in the
package....