[packagekit] Merging a ton of new code

Ken VanDine ken at vandine.org
Mon Sep 24 20:09:14 PDT 2007

Rebuilt both frontend and backend... Getting a crasher in
pk-application after doing a remove (I assume other actions exhibit
similar issues):

** (pk-application:9541): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_error_get_name:
assertion `error->code == DBUS_GERROR_REMOTE_EXCEPTION' failed
Cannot access memory at address 0x85080e45
/home/ken/src/gnome-packagekit/9541: No such file or directory.Killed

Thanks,
--Ken

On 9/24/07, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm about to merge a ton of new code. Right from the inception of the
> DBUS API I wasn't happy about returning the tid from the new method, as
> this meant we couldn't do fast sync methods or return async errors.
>
> I think we are hitting the create->connect race for some backends, where
> the finished signal is send before the connect. I've reworked the API to
> do a two step init (like HAL) where we request a tid, connect out
> callbacks, and do the method. This means we can send async callbacks
> from the sync method. This is a good thing, and was blocking the 0.1.0
> release.
>
> Both PackageKit and gnome-packagekit are affected as I've also really
> simplified the client library (PkTaskClient+PkTaskMonitor->PkClient) so
> expect a little instability for a few days. Please recompile both, and
> report any problems to the list if you get new crashers or warnings.
> I'll push to fd.o tmw if there are no problems.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard.

Ken VanDine
http://ken.vandine.org