[packagekit] Package update policy

Bryan Clark bclark at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 13:37:02 PDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 15:21 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
>
> >   - Silently download updates in the background
>
> Hmm difficult, as UpdateSystem is a one-method call, not a two level
> "download" and then "install". We could fix that tho, although I'm not
> sure the backends would be able to do what we wanted.

Ok, a known issue with a number of update systems that they don't take into
account download time or dependency resolution + dependency download time.
This often causes the UI to be multi step and annoyingly slow when it could
be a single step and fast.

>   - Does not ask to perform updates ( alerts of this default at first
> > update )
> >

> >  I suppose that's a back-end independent issue really but for the most
> > part updating is somewhat resource intensive and should be done when
> > the computer isn't being actively used.  That said there are lots of
> > gotchas with this in terms of security updates or systems that are
> > used and then suspended or shutdown without much idle time; each of
> > which I believe can have a simple solution.
>
> I figure try doing when idle, and if never idle, just doing the action
> anyway...

Yeah, that's a pretty simple.

> Automatic updates are a smart idea, however some people like to have
> > control over their computer being smart.  So there is a first time
> > usage scenario that covers the automatic nature of the system update
> > allow for a point at which people can configure the application or let
> > it do what it does automatically.
>
> I figured choose sane defaults, to not bombard the user with questions
> on first install...

Exactly, and with sane defaults and a first time usage double check we can
usually get the correct behavior quickly.

> First Time Use Scenario
> >   - Wait until ideal time to update
> >   - If updates are available show Package Update icon and begin
> > download [ tooltip: Downloading New Updates Available]
> >   - Wait until Person has returned to computer ( not idle )
> >   - Advertise that the Package Updater has downloaded updates via a
> > notification icon
> >     "Updates are ready to be installed but will wait until your system
> > is idle again.  All future updates will be performed automatically"
> >     [[Install Updates Now]] [Install Updates Later] [Configure...]
> >

> > The whole reason behind this scenario is so a minority of people can
> > prevent the updater from being automatic when they want it to be
> > manual without asking too many question up front which we assume would
> > confuse or annoy the majority of users who don't understand or don't
> > care.
>
> Sure. I think we do need to ask the user at least once from a privacy
> point of view.

Sure.

> I saw you have a couple different icons for the different states that
> > occur, it's probably good to keep the first one innocuous looking and
> > then a "downlading" style icon, followed by an "updating" style
> > icon... defining those iconic meanings is going to be like a trip in
> > the park :)
>
> Yup. I'm using mail-send-receive at the moment for downloading. Not
> cool.

I'll see if I can get some icons done up, unless someone else is already
working on a set.

> Interrupted During Update Scenario (person comes back to the idle
> > system while it's being updated)
> >   - Systray icon shows updater in progress
> >   - Display notification bubble
> >     "Update in Progress\n
> >      10 of 100 packages updated"
> >     [Watch Update Progress] [Configure...]
> >
> > I don't think we need a close bubble or ignore action here because
> > there should be a close icon, also I don't really know that you have a
> > UI for watching the updates happen but I'm assuming you do :)
>
> Yup, you can get to it in the dropdown from the icon. I can tell you've
> not tried out the code yet :-)

yum install PackageKit  == I fail ...

> As for the System Update Preferences UI I'd go with something like
> > this.

> > System Update Preferences
> >
> >   [x] Automatically Check for Updates When Idle
> >
> >     [Every Day \/] Check for new updates
> >
> >     [x] Download updates automatically
> >
> >     (o) Never ask for confirmation, perform all updates automatically
> >     ( ) Always perform security updates, but ask otherwise
> >     ( ) Always ask before updating anything
>
> Hmm. not very new user friendly. I need to test this on my girlfriend -
> if she can get it, then we've won.

Yeah, kind of a placeholder that needs some work.  But ultimately this
probably can't be made so easy that anyone can understand since that's what
the defaults are for and it not intended to be seen by most users anyway.

Cheers,
~ Bryan