[packagekit] Package update policy

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:00:05 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 16:37 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 15:21 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
>
>         >   - Silently download updates in the background
>
>         Hmm difficult, as UpdateSystem is a one-method call, not a two
>         level
>         "download" and then "install". We could fix that tho, although
>         I'm not
>         sure the backends would be able to do what we wanted.
>
> Ok, a known issue with a number of update systems that they don't take
> into account download time or dependency resolution + dependency
> download time.  This often causes the UI to be multi step and
> annoyingly slow when it could be a single step and fast.

Well, when it's all done async in the background I'm not sure it
matters.

>         Yup. I'm using mail-send-receive at the moment for
>         downloading. Not
>         cool.
>
> I'll see if I can get some icons done up, unless someone else is
> already working on a set.

Cool. I sent a mail to the tango list. See
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/tango-artists/2007-September/001510.html

The icons would need to be in the tango style.

> yum install PackageKit  == I fail ...

It's in the utopia repo. See
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/fedora/

You'll need PackageKit and gnome-packagekit

> Yeah, kind of a placeholder that needs some work.  But ultimately this
> probably can't be made so easy that anyone can understand since that's
> what the defaults are for and it not intended to be seen by most users
> anyway.

Sure. Thanks for your help.