[packagekit] Package update policy

Ken VanDine ken at vandine.org
Thu Sep 27 05:27:34 PDT 2007

The conary backend can do this too, so providing an interface for
doing that would be cool.  Not sure how quickly I make this a blocker
for getting a release out, this could be new functionality for the
future.  I don't see a huge demand for download first, but surely
some.

--Ken

On 9/27/07, Tim Lauridsen <tla at rasmil.dk> wrote:

>  Richard Hughes wrote:
>  On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 16:49 -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
>

>  Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> writes:
>

>  On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 15:21 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
>

>  - Silently download updates in the background
>
>  Hmm difficult, as UpdateSystem is a one-method call, not a two level
> "download" and then "install". We could fix that tho, although I'm not
> sure the backends would be able to do what we wanted.
>
>  Instead of always requiring a two-step model, you could have an optional
> 'predownload' step for backends that support 'download only'. Then when
> the 'do updates' step occurs, a smart backend should make use of the
> predownloaded bits.
>
>  What about UpdateSystem(b=prepare)? What backends could support this?
>
>  What about making a new download_updates backend call, then the backend can
> if it is supported download the packages into the local cache
>  Then the normal update will installed the packages in the cache, or do the
> same thing as today, if no packages is in the cache or the download_updates
> is not supported.
>  This can be implemented with the yum backend.
>
>  Tim

Ken VanDine
http://ken.vandine.org