[packagekit] license handling

Stanislav Visnovsky visnov at suse.cz
Thu Apr 3 06:58:19 PDT 2008

Dňa Thursday 03 April 2008 15:50:58 Jesse Keating ste napísal:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 15:47 +0200, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
> > In openSUSE, we are obliged to show the license at the installation time
> > of package. So this is a real issue for us.
>
> Is that even correct though, legal wise?

Well, IANAL. I'm following the requirements I get. And this is one of them. We
need the user to accept the license before installing the software.

> If I the admin for a system
> install software and accept the license, then a multitude of users use
> the software, have they also accepted the license?  One would think not.
> On the Red Hat / Fedora side, we're extremely opposed to any sort of
> interactive package installation.  All package installations must be
> automatable and that throws out any accepting of licenses during the
> transaction.

How do you handle 3rd party repos? They need to handle the situation even if
you don't in the core distro.

Stano