[packagekit] yum: detecting file conflicts and using a custom error

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 13:49:39 PDT 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:15:32 +0100
Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 11:42 -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
> > I agree that this should be done, but the lower in the stack the
> > better.  Ideally, yum (or better, rpm) would be fixed to give better
> > errors...however, the problem here is that instead of getting one
> > specific exception, yum can get multiple errors per transaction from
> > RPM.
>
> Are we interested in anything but the first?

Maybe.  There's no guarantee that the first is the most interesting.

Also, there unfortunately isn't an enumerated list of transaction
errors anywhere that I know of.  I asked Seth, and he suggested reading
rpm's source code.

> > This doesn't fit well with the exception model.  If you must have
> > a specific exception, the best we could do with the current system
> > is pick the first and throw away the rest, which might not be the
> > most severe.
>
> Sure, but it's stopping the transaction from running. Fix that, re-run
> the transaction then find the next problem (if it still exists).

Hrm.  Maybe.  It could be a long list though, and possibly and
indication that Something Is Horribly wrong.  Maybe show the first
error, with a 'more details' button?

-RN

--
Robin Norwood