[packagekit] Ignoring updates

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 06:24:34 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 09:17 -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
> Implementing this gets tricky really fast.  If I ignore hal
> updates, but something pulls in a hal update as a dep...?
>
> This will be hard for the backends to get right, unless they
> already support blacklists.  Yum has the exclude option, though, which
> should make it fairly easy for the yum backend.  We'd need to decide if
> we want this to apply to the global yum configuration (editing yum.conf)
> or just apply it for PK transactions.  We already edit the repo config
> globally, so for consistency's sake we should probably do the same
> here, but not trample on the existing blacklist config when doing so.

Honestly I think any such ignorings should be done on a per-transaction
basis.  Trying to guess what a user meant when they ignored a certain
update is rather doomed to fail.  Even at the yum level does the user
mean "exclude it now, and for ever", "exclude just this one, but future
ones are OK", "exclude it just from this repo, but from that other repo
it's ok", permutations of the above?

Is it unfair to have PK frontends do per-transaction exclusions, and
anything more permanent should be written to the backend's native
configs by the user/admin?

--
Jesse Keating