[packagekit] availability of a distribution upgrade

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 16 01:40:56 PDT 2008

Am Freitag, den 15.08.2008, 14:06 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> > It needs root, but as it is an X program, or a console program,
> > depending on who is the client, wouldn't be better to make the
> backend
> > emit the task that needs to follow and let the client start the
> workflow?
>
> Not sure on this yet. For instance, if my GUI client gets back there's
> stable update available, it might be as simple as just calling
> RepoSetData("upgrade", "fedora-9") and then calling UpdateSystem() --
> or
> it might be quite a bit more complicated. I don't think defining how
> the
> upgrade is done should be mandated by PackageKit.

For Ubuntu the distro upgrade happens in the users desktop session,
which cannot be accessed from the backend.

The DistroUpgrade signal could have an additional string which
represents a command that could be executed by the client (e.g.
gpk-update-viewer) to launch the distribution upgrade tool.

DistroUpgrade(DISTRO_UPGRADE_UNSTABLE, "intrepid", "current devel",
"gksu /usr/bin/do-release-upgrade")

Are there any distros which can schedule/start the upgrade from the
backend?

Cheers,

Sebastian