[packagekit] pk_backend_message enums

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 09:00:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 12:48 +0200, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> If we detect that a repo may be outdated, we want to tell the user. May
> be in the future there will be new features that require some custom
> message to the user.

Sounds sane. There's been an item in TODO for aaages about this.

> - add the enums, and handle the texts in the client. This allows for
> different texts per client.
>   In this case I would question if errors should be separated from
> messages then...

Yes, as messages can be queued up and shown to the user after the
transaction, but a error is always fatal.

>   And in this case, I would request an enum for my use case
>   PK_MESSAGE_WARNING_MAYBE_BROKEN_MIRROR ?

No problem. I've audited all the users of pk_backend_message() and added
constants where it made sense. I've added so far:

PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_BROKEN_MIRROR
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_CONNECTION_REFUSED
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_PARAMETER_INVALID
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_PRIORITY_INVALID
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_BACKEND_ERROR
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_DAEMON_ERROR
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_CACHE_BEING_REBUILT
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_UNTRUSTED_PACKAGE
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_NEWER_PACKAGE_EXISTS
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_COULD_NOT_FIND_PACKAGE
PK_MESSAGE_ENUM_CONFIG_FILES_CHANGED

Yell if there's any others you'll need in the near-future and I'll do it
before 0.3.1. Diffstat is here:

 TODO                                    |    4 ----
 backends/apt/aptDBUSBackend.py          |    2 +-
 backends/poldek/pk-backend-poldek.c     |    2 +-
 backends/yum/helpers/yumBackend.py      |    8 ++++----
 backends/yum2/helpers/yumDBUSBackend.py |   18 +++++++++---------
 backends/zypp/pk-backend-zypp.cpp       |    6 +++---
 libpackagekit/pk-client.c               |    2 +-
 libpackagekit/pk-enum.c                 |   14 +++++++++++---
 libpackagekit/pk-enum.h                 |   14 +++++++++++---
 libpackagekit/pk-task-list.c            |    2 +-
 python/packagekit/backend.py            |    2 +-
 src/pk-backend-dbus.c                   |    6 +++---
 src/pk-backend-spawn.c                  |   18 +++++++++---------
 src/pk-backend.c                        |   20 ++++++++++----------
 src/pk-transaction.c                    |    7 ++++---

So, probably a good idea you check your backend, although I'm usually
pretty careful. :-)