[packagekit] Res: PolicyKit, PackageKit or apt backend

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 09:03:16 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 11:49 -0400, Ken VanDine wrote:
> I really don't think restarting dbus on a update is a good idea.
> Restarts actually can break lots of apps and I have never found a good
> use case to do it.  For example, if you move to gdm 2.22 or greater,
> restarting dbus will kill the login session... which is not good :)

Totally. This issue comes up on the DBUS mailing list all the time.

The answer, is that the system DBUS daemon is never meant to be
restarted. Think of it like a kernel, you have to reboot to update it.

Any distro that restarts dbus on suspend/resume/update or upgrade time
is insane, and needs to be hit with a cluebat. :-)