[packagekit] [RFE] use lower iopriority for background update checking

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Aug 21 17:24:36 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 14:39 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently packagekit check for updates right after login which results
> into high disk usage.
> This leads to a noticeable slowdown. (After login the user wants to
> start apps so its even worse at this time).

Yeah, I agree it's really annoying.

> A solution would be to use a lower iopriority for the background
> update checking process.
> This can be done by either using the SYS_ioprio_set syscall or better
> ioprio_set.
>
> It does not really matter if the update notification shows up some
> seconds later.

I have PackageKit set to check updates once a day which I believe is the
default. Yet, PackageKit still checks for updates every time I login
which normally is several times a day [1]. I think if that bug was
fixed, the problem you're describing would, at least, be less of a
nuisance.

     David

[1] : occupational hazard, I know. But in my line of work, it's what we
do.