[packagekit] PackageKit and gnome-packagekit 0.4.0 released!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 01:26:08 PST 2008

Today I released PackageKit and gnome-packagekit 0.4.0 (unstable).

PackageKit release notes:

Notes:
- Now integrates with BASH suggesting replacements and offering to install
  missing packages.
- Now integrates with Pango using a gtk-module to install missing fonts.
- Much tighter security model and new audit logging framework.
- Lots of new, untested, code so probably not a good idea for stable distributions.

Translations:
 - Updated Swedish translation (Daniel Nylander)
 - Updated Polish translation (Piotr Drąg)

New Features:
 - qt: Add GetMimeTypes to Qt bindings (Adrien BUSTANY)
 - Add a PolicyKit rule so other users can cancel tasks from other users (Richard Hughes)
 - Add command-not-found functionality to PackageKit (Richard Hughes)
 - Add a various possible replacement models to command not found (Richard Hughes)
 - Use a config file to control the actions we take on command-not-found (Richard Hughes)
 - Add a Pango module that can be used to automatically install missing fonts (Behdad Esfahbod)
 - Set the environment variable NETWORK for the spawned backends (Richard Hughes)

Bugfixes:
 - Get the lang and network state in the generic spawned backend (Richard Hughes)
 - pk-generate-package-list is not used any more, remove from the man page (Anders F Bjorklund)
 - Check the sender for SetLocale and the UID for Cancel (Richard Hughes)
 - Fix a small memory leak in pk_transaction_action_is_allowed (Richard Hughes)
 - Fix a small memory leak in pk_backend_package (Richard Hughes)
 - Make a lot of new strings translatable in pkcon (Richard Hughes)
 - Add the DBus interface now that the default send interface is now deny (Richard Hughes)
 - Allow all clients to send to all interfaces of the server. Fixes DBus introspection. (Richard Hughes)
 - gtk-module: Fix typos, clean up and improve README (Behdad Esfahbod)
 - glib: Don't emit a critical warning if a desktop file contains an error (Richard Hughes)
 - qt: Fix make check with the threaded Polkit client (Adrien BUSTANY)
 - qt: ifdef the Polkit relevant parts for make distcheck (Adrien BUSTANY)
 - qt: Fix the old transactions, and upgrade to new API (Adrien BUSTANY)
 - qt: Fixed freezed UI while waiting for blocking polkit_auth_obtain call (Thomas Goettlicher)

Backends:
 - apt: Fix apt configuration (Sebastian Heinlein)
 - poldek: Implement get_mime_types (Marcin Banasiak)
 - yum: Catch yum.Errors.RepoError when we get the yum comps groups. Fixes fd#18722 (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: Add a few more entries into the comps groups mapping (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: Use the NETWORK environment variable to change the way we access the repos (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: Remove two developer debugging statements left in by accident (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: Try harder to work from a cache when offline (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: Avoid hanging the daemon when a repo is down. Fixes rh#473379 (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: Catch all exceptions from self.yumbase.doConfigSetup. Fixes fd#18834 (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: Don't error out with an internal error if the non-installed dep check fails. Fixes rh#474138 (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: Make sure we call doObsoletes explicitly when we get the ObsoletesTuples (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: As we can't treat yum like a usual python module, hand-hold it. (Richard Hughes)
 - yum: check if a package has the correct architecture, and if not exit with an error. Fixes rh#474740 (Richard Hughes)

gnome-packagekit release notes:

- Added Traditional Chinese translation(Hong Kong) (Chao-Hsiung Liao)
- Added Traditional Chinese translation(Taiwan) (Chao-Hsiung Liao)
- Updated Swedish translation (Daniel Nylander)
- Updated Italian translation (Gianvito Cavasoli)
- Updated Catalan translation (Gil Forcada)
- Updated Brazilian Portuguese translation (Igor Pires Soares)
- Updated Danish translation (Kenneth Nielsen)

* New Features:
 - Add InstallFonts to the session DBUS interface (Richard Hughes)
 - Add a key to gnome-settings-daemon GConf so we can load the gtk module (Richard Hughes)
 - Add a fontconfig dep for the new font code (Richard Hughes)
 - Show the menu path in Add/Remove programs when we install new software (Sylvain Baubeau)
 - Add two prototype interfaces to make the session interface more sane (Richard Hughes)

* Bugfix:
 - Show the 'Force Install' button on the unsigned dialog UI (Richard Hughes)
 - Fix the self tests in GpkCommon (Richard Hughes)
 - Set the dialog type up in a setup function, and then present it like a normal
   window -- fixes funny icons in different places (Richard Hughes)
 - Don't clear the list in gpk-repo when the list is refreshed, just update it in place.
   Use the same approach in gpk-log. Fixed first part of fd#18733 (Richard Hughes)
 - Don't abort with an error if we are using small form factor mode (Richard Hughes)
 - Convert the iso639 language codes to localised language names (Richard Hughes)
 - Add ISO639-2B language names to the language hash also (Richard Hughes)
 - Don't emit a critical warning if the desktop file contains invalid markup (Richard Hughes)
 - Set the run window modal over the parent window to fix rh#475046 (Richard Hughes)
 - Set an interaction mode in gpk-application when we refresh the package lists to
   avoid getting an empty window (Richard Hughes)
 - Set the run window modal over the parent window to fix rh#475046 (Richard Hughes)
 - Don't send signal during object init - upper layers need to hook up first (Scott Reeves)

Tarballs available here: http://www.packagekit.org/releases/

Thanks to all those who made this possible.