[packagekit] RFC: standardising on search terms

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 12:52:29 PST 2008

At the moment we don't specify any sort of standard used for the search
term for the SearchName or SearchDetails methods.

I think it's a good idea these methods are case insensitive, but I'm not
sure about the following search syntaxes:

* gnome manager power
* gnome-power-*
* gnome-?????-manager (exact char length match)
* gnome OR power OR manager
* Device AND ( Power OR Disk )

At the moment we don't specify any format, and disallow wildcard
characters such as ' ', * and ?. I would really like to come to an
agreed standard across all backends. Ideas welcome. Thanks.