[packagekit] RFC: standardising on search terms

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 21 23:53:00 PST 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> At the moment we don't specify any sort of standard used for the search
> term for the SearchName or SearchDetails methods.
>
> I think it's a good idea these methods are case insensitive, but I'm not
> sure about the following search syntaxes:
>
> * gnome manager power
> * gnome-power-*
> * gnome-?????-manager (exact char length match)
> * gnome OR power OR manager
> * Device AND ( Power OR Disk )

There is a big problem here, i the package manager don't support  '*' or
'?' and 'OR' type of searching then
it is hard to implement and how do we the check that the current search
string is support for the current backend.
IMO we should stick with single search word, and no wildcards and other
stuff, i see no need for more advanced searching
i most usecases and none of the users in
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-profiles.html with use something like
'Device AND ( Power OR Disk )'

  Tim