[packagekit] Suggestion

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 00:31:43 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 22:08 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 15:05 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> > > If it's the later, I think some sort of integration with a "service
> > > pack" type CD would be useful, but only when we've identified valid
> > use
> > > cases and sane interactions for this. Try not to think about what
> > the
> > > tools can (or could) do, think about what the user is trying to
> > achieve.
> > > Ideas welcome.
> >
> > Michael Vogt worked on add-on cds for Ubuntu. Perhaps it is worth a
> > chat.
>
> Sure. I think the ideal use case is this:
>
> [1] insert CD with service pack .debs on
> [2a] cdrom is autorun by gnome-volume-manager and the location passed to
> gnome-packagekit to initiate a service pack update
> [2b] gnome-packagekit watches for a cdrom to be inserted
> [2c] gvfs does the new-fangled thing for autolaunch
> [3] gnome-packagekit asks the user to confirm it's a valid update CD and
> asks for PolicyKit auth and runs the ServicePack() backend method on the
> CD device.
>
> For [2] we'll need an identifier that can be recognized by PackageKit,
> maybe just the presence of the file packagekit-update.txt on the CDROM
> or DVD. I don't know what the new gvfs world order is on this, ideas
> welcome.

gvfs/gio-nautilus introduced the concept of content type, which is kinda
like a mimetype but describes the content of an entire mount (i.e. if
its a dvd movie, a camera flashcard, etc). We sniff this and use it to
pick the default app to open on automount. At the moment the sniffing
code is hardcoded in nautilus, but the plan is to break it out.