[packagekit] Suggestion

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:01:36 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 09:31 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > For [2] we'll need an identifier that can be recognized by PackageKit,
> > maybe just the presence of the file packagekit-update.txt on the CDROM
> > or DVD. I don't know what the new gvfs world order is on this, ideas
> > welcome.
>
> gvfs/gio-nautilus introduced the concept of content type, which is kinda
> like a mimetype but describes the content of an entire mount (i.e. if
> its a dvd movie, a camera flashcard, etc). We sniff this and use it to
> pick the default app to open on automount. At the moment the sniffing
> code is hardcoded in nautilus, but the plan is to break it out.

Ahh I see, thanks. Is there any API docs for this yet?

What concerns me with the nautilus approach is that it ties us to GNOME,
rather than allowing use on XFCE and KDE. Would the ServicePack stuff be
better done in packagekitd, as the backend has to be able to do a HAL
Lock() on the device when the transaction starts.