[packagekit] Properties and Supported

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Feb 19 07:59:25 PST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 4:45 PM, Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 18.02.2008, 17:52 +0000 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> > Sure, I get the distinction, but why does it matter? As a user I want to
> > know if this specific package is supported, i.e. _someone_ supports it.
> > As an end user I don't think it's important if a package is supported by
> > a distro or an ISV - just that there will be security updates if they
> > are needed. Why would a user have to (or want to) choose between a
> > ubuntu packaged opera and a partner packaged opera?
> There is no Ubuntu-packaged version of Opera. The partner repository is
> an addition to Ubuntu.
>
> Since Canonical sells support for Ubuntu they want the user to show
> which software they support or not.
>
> AFAIK there is no certification process that would allow an ISV to call
> their Ubuntu repository supported.

I'm quite puzzled with decisions here. At one time I hear that it
doesn't calculate to add support for cherry-picking updated. Later on
I learn that part of the system is going to be designed around a
single third-party vendor (Canonical).

Guys, either make it generic and start focusing on important parts or
let downstream hire engineers to work on customization. People first
need a software maintenance system to even ask for a customer support
maintenance one.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution