[packagekit] Status of the APT backend

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri Feb 22 09:20:44 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Justin Haygood <jhaygood at reaktix.com> wrote:

>  >Sure. I was thinking about the one-click install problem last night. I
>  >think we need a way to trigger a package install (from the native
>  >package repos) from a URL. Obviously we would need the prompt, and
>  >another PolicyKit role with suitable warnings. I was thinking of
>  >something like:
>  We could use the proposed One-Click Install standard for implementing this in a distribution agnostic way. The user clicks a link to a One-Click Install metadata file (really just XML).
>
>  This XML file provides:
>
>   * Repositories
>   * Summary in multiple languages
>   * Multiple distributions in one file
>   * List of packages (also supports patterns as well)

I think a better approach would be to just handle uris like
"pkginstall:epiphany-2.2-1.i686" or "pkginstall:gedit"

Enabling websites to add repos would be a huge security gap and in the
end it's likely that different distros will still need to provide
their own URIs as package names vary a lot. Summary, name and stuff
are available in all good stores near you (think enabled repos).

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution