[packagekit] Status of the APT backend

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 03:30:18 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 18:20 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> I think a better approach would be to just handle uris like
> "pkginstall:epiphany-2.2-1.i686" or "pkginstall:gedit"

Well, the version number and revision would be obsolete in a matter of
months. I'm thinking this feature would be most useful for things like a
developer/user faq with a link saying "click here to install everything
you need to get started". The only caveat would be that the software is
already in the distro repository which is probably a good thing.

> Enabling websites to add repos would be a huge security gap and in the
> end it's likely that different distros will still need to provide
> their own URIs as package names vary a lot. Summary, name and stuff
> are available in all good stores near you (think enabled repos).

Totally agree.