[packagekit] Status of the APT backend

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 03:29:38 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 11:02 -0500, Justin Haygood wrote:
> We could use the proposed One-Click Install standard for implementing
> this in a distribution agnostic way. The user clicks a link to a
> One-Click Install metadata file (really just XML).
>
> This XML file provides:
>
>  * Repositories

We don't want to be able to add repos using one click when installing
packages - I think it's a massive security hole just waiting to happen.

>  * Summary in multiple languages

So you expect users generating one-click install xml files to fully
localise them? Surely this information is best coming from the repos
themselves. We also don't want to encode the summary in the file as we
could do this:

install:evil-trojan-rootkit
summary: This is a nice pretty tool to let you configure your desktop

>  * Multiple distributions in one file
>  * List of packages (also supports patterns as well)

Sane.

> openSUSE 10.3 currently provides a sample implementation, but its
> designed to be cross-distribution and is thus not SUSE-specific.

Sure. What were the original use-cases of the suse 1-c-i tool out of
interest?