[packagekit] Using a private DBUS connection instead of system bus

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:07:47 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 12:53 -0500, Robin Norwood wrote:
> Another thing that came up in my conversation with David Z. today was
> the possibility of using a private DBUS connection instead of the
> system bus - at least for the engine - DBUS backend part.  He claims
> some performance improvements over using the system bus.  I don't know
> if we could do it for the engine <-> UI part though, because (for
> instance), we update the icon when stuff started in the UI completes.
> Maybe this is possible with a private connection too, though, I'm not
> sure.
>
> Anyway, something to consider whenever someone has the time and
> inclination for some DBUS fun.  Thoughts?

Yes, it's something that I thought about doing when the dbus daemon code
was stable; I think it's a lot more complicated to debug a private
connection than using the bus and dbus-send in my opinion.

If we start using a private connection, we loose the service activation
of the daemon - but we win on latency. I don't think it's clear cut.

Comments welcome.