[packagekit] Update viewer - show all packages, or...?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:36:20 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 17:19 -0500, Robin Norwood wrote:
> I was chatting with Jeremy Katz today, and he pointed out one place
> where pk-update-viewer is lacking - it's model is based upon showing
> Packages to update.  pup shows (basically) the source package name.
> This makes a lot of sense, since you'll almost never want to update one
> of the packages which come from a source package but not the others
> (the ones that are installed, anyway).
>
> What do you guys thing about filtering the updates list something like
> this?

Sane. I still think we need to preserve the complete list also for
admins or libpackagekit usage, so maybe we could have:

* GetUpdates(b=main_packages)

or maybe a better flag name. I don't think this warrants another method,
as backends that do not support it can safely ignore the flag.

> Another thing I'd like to hit is the ability to install 'just security
> updates' - but we need a good way to update multiple packages first.

Sure, but that blocks on deciding how to do the multiple package action.
How difficult do you think it would be to convert all the backends to
accept an array of package_id's rather than a single one?

I guess worst case scenario is that a backend will have to requeue each
one internally, which will still be much quicker than doing each one as
a new transaction client side.

It'll be a giant pain, but I think it's the best plan we've got so far.