[packagekit] handling input

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 11:19:32 PST 2008

I've now noticed several places where packagekit exhibits a tendency
to force a narrow view of input validity instead of working with what
the user/backend provides:

- repo ids are not allowed to contain spaces ? yum has no such
restriction, afaics...

- search terms are forced through the same strvalidate function than
everything else, meaning I cannot search for
anything containing space, $,  ", [, ]. <. >, etc. In particular for
searching in descriptions, this seems somewhat restrictive.

- update descriptions are artificially forced to be a single line by
means of s/\n/;/. This looks, smells and feels like a bug introduced
by the choice to funnel the frontend-backend communication through
single lines on stdout...

We can certainly do better than this (at least pup can...)

While we are on the topic of frontend-backend communication, is there
any documentation about the protocol used for
this ? both the dbus protocol and the ad hoc protocol between backend
and helpers would be good to have written down in some form.

Thanks,  Matthias