[packagekit] gnome-packagekit flames^Wreview

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jan 1 12:10:36 PST 2008

Hi,

Happy new year to you too!

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 19:16 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > Curious; how would that differ from "Add/Remove Software"? Why would I
> > > use one over the other? (IOW: who are you designing for?)
> >
> > It would be application-centric, as opposed to package-centric, and
> > would probably use the menu hierarchy instead of package groups.
>
> Exactly. I.e. you do search-as-you-type web and you get firefox if there
> is an install and not remove. I.e a simple "I'm not sure what I want,
> but I want to do $foo" - hopefully this will link up with mugshot and
> the online desktop thing.

I'm not sure why such an interface wouldn't allow me to uninstall
applications; search for "web" and both the set of installable and
installed applications show up. So not really sure why you'd want two
applications for dealing with this.

Agree it would be nice to integrate it with the normal way of browsing
and launching application (e.g. the existing menus, gnome-main-menu's
application browser, mugshot/od's app browser etc.).

However, until such a thing materializes can we move "Add/Remove
Software" to a more prominent location than System->Administration?

      David