[packagekit] A new design update viewer

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 10:24:42 PST 2008

Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 07:49 -0500, James Bowes wrote:
>> It might also be useful if we could work in some way with the summary
>> page to let a user just install all security updates, for instance.
>
> I've merged the new-look update viewer. Expect a few teething problems
> but I think it's lots better than the old one. Please yell if you find
> any problems or have any suggestions.

This seems like an improvement to me, but...

o It seems odd on the first page to have a list of (at most) 3 or so
items (normal updates, security updates, ?).  Then we jump to a separate
window if we want details.  Maybe a hybrid where you have '2 normal
updates ->', then a click to open up a 'tree' of the normal updates.

2 normal updates -> (click)
  - Foo update
  - Bar update

And then click on Foo update or Bar update to open up the details pane.

This is kindof a step backwards to what you had before, though...

o I strongly agree with Matthias about changing the text to read "2
normal updates" instead of Normal updates (2)."

o Why can't I change my update prefs from this window?  A short menu
might be a good place for that, and you could put the
not-very-often-useful 'Force Refresh' button as a menu item instead.

o On my system, the 'details' pane shows four lines, but also has a
scrollbar so you can scroll down and see the little blank space below
the lines.  Can we just make this show all the data in the pane with no
scrollbar?  Assuming a fixed number of lines, this should be safe.

o There's no way back to the first page!

o When I click from update to update, the details pane goes away and
returns.  Can we just blank it out and leave it open until it's
refreshed?

o There are potentially more details for a given update - can we have
double-click open a new window with lots of detail?

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.