[packagekit] Auto Installed Packages

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Thu Jan 31 15:55:39 PST 2008

On 19:45 Thu 31 Jan     , Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 11:30 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > Gentoo's package managers already implement that. It takes a little
> > while to do the calculation in pkgcore (~1 minute for ~1000
> > packages).
> > Seems like a PM-level thing that PK would just provide a frontend for.
>
> Do you mean a CleanupPackages function, or doing it automatically per
> package remove?

Hmmm. Dependency cleaning seems like part of package removal, so it
makes sense to do it there.

> If it's the latter, it's easy to add a flag to the RemovePackage thing
> like I suggested before. What we might want to do is prompt the user if
> this is okay, in which case we would need to do something cleverer.
>
> If prompting the user isn't that important (and personally I don't think
> it is) then we can use this easily.

I can imagine PMs making errors in finding "unneeded" packages. OTOH,
I'm unsure PK's target audience would understand enough to know an error
was made, and I'm unsure it's PK's problem to deal with PM bugs.

> Maybe a cleanup packages thing could be something that's done every 30
> days or something? It sure makes the problem easier, but makes one more
> thing we have to to schedule.

I like event-based actions more than time-based ones, which feel
arbitrary.

Thanks,
Donnie