[packagekit] User Interaction needed

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Thu Mar 13 18:23:08 PDT 2008

* Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> [Mar 13. 2008 22:10]:
> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 21:36 +0100, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
> > So there is no rollback involved and you end with an incomplete
> > transaction.
> > Doing a rollback was requested earlier if changing media fails for
> > some reason. ;-)
>
> I'm not sure I follow, sorry. If you get a single package that fails,
> can you abort the transaction?

Well, it should. No ?

> And another point: should installing packages ever fail? Surely they
> are broken packages?

As long as humans do packaging work, we will face this issue ;-)

> > What is preventing us from emitting a 'please insert DVD2' request
> > then ?
>
> The fact that when we are waiting for user input the daemon is blocked
> and can't do anything else. I'm just not prepared to stop the
> transaction and ask the user to answer a question, and then restart the
> daemon, sorry. There's just too much to go wrong with that model.

In previous versions of SUSE we solved this case by aborting the
transaction with a 'please insert media' error code. The frontend
could then ask for the media and restart the transaction (a new
transaction containig the remaining packages).
Not a very clean but a working solution. ;-)

Klaus
---