[packagekit] WhatProvides

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Mar 17 12:27:15 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 17:36 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Comments?

I think you need to specify the media framework in the codec part since
codecs are tied to a specific framework (e.g. gstreamer, xine and so
on).

So it's just like how device drivers are tied to a specific (lineage of
the) kernel or OS (e.g. Linux 2.6, FreeBSD, Solaris).  Probably for
drivers it's sane to assume only one kernel is used though. But you
can't do that for codecs.

>From an API point of view I want to be able to write this code in my "I
can haz codecs" application

  if (am_using_gstreamer) {
    pk_get_codec ("gstreamer-0.10", "audio/mpeg");
  } if (am_using_xine) else {
    pk_get_codec ("xine-xyz", "audio/mpeg");
  }

Or maybe I write

  if (am_using_gstreamer) {
    pk_get_codec ("gstreamer-0.10/audio/mpeg");
  } if (am_using_xine) else {
    pk_get_codec ("xine-xyz/audio/mpeg");
  }

I don't know. But your docs for this thing need to tell such
applications writers what to do.

     David