[packagekit] WhatProvides

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Mar 17 12:32:53 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 15:27 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> So it's just like how device drivers are tied to a specific (lineage of
> the) kernel or OS

Btw, the observation about the lineage is probably key. For OS drivers,
for example, on Linux there is no stable ABI. So the lineage on e.g.
Fedora would be new with every kernel RPM. On RHEL and SLES on the other
hand there's a guaranteed ABI (whitelist of symbols) so the lineage
would be the point release e.g. EL5.0, EL5.1, EL5.2 or maybe just EL5.

For GStreamer, I think, the lineage is either 0.8 or 0.10; I think they
keep the ABI stable. Bastien would know.

So you probably need four parts that goes into the Provides

 - type
 - framework
 - lineage (probably needs to express this as a range)
 - plug-in

     David