[packagekit] WhatProvides

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Mar 17 13:42:28 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 20:02 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > I don't know. But your docs for this thing need to tell such
> > applications writers what to do.
>
> I'd rather that wasn't shown at all in the API.

Uhm. But how am I going to write the "i can haz plugins" or whatever
app? Don't you think a top-down approach figuring out the top-most API
is a good idea?

> The provides are completely arbitrary, and the scripting makes it
> extensible (I could add a provides script that checks whether you wrote
> an application, and add that to the provides, running
> "pk-install-provides davidz" would install your apps).
>
> Restricting the provides based on type means that adding provides types
> to distros will require applications to be updated.

I'm well aware of how RPM works. Let's not get bogged down in how RPM
currently does things especially if we don't know what the top-most API
is going to look...

     David