[packagekit] Getting the update UI right

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 19 15:19:04 PDT 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 19.03.2008, 13:30 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> I have worked a bit more on streamlining pk-update-viewer.
> My current screenshots are at http://people.redhat.com/PackageKit
> Notably, I've fixed the issue where the size of all screens was tied
> together via a notebook.
> I'll work a bit on cleaning up the patch and post it later tonight.
>
> Matthias

As a general note you should not exchange widgets in a running
application, since at first GNOME tries to be object oriented, secondly
it is harder for the user to make a position/function association and
finally it makes using a screen reader hard.

screenshot-1

Why don't you use an expander instead of exchanging nearly the whole
dialog for the "review"?

screenshot-3

Only use one icon in the dialog. It seems more important to restart the
system than to get the information that the update is done. So you
should exchange the header and the text in the last dialog.

screenshot-2

Here is the HIG section about progress dialogs (seems that the images
are currently broken):
http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/windows-progress.html.en

Downloading is a sub task of installing an update. So you should revert
the order. Furthermore I would suggest not to make too many labels
bold.

You want to display the window after starting the update from the
update-viewer? You want a separate dialog progress dialog for the
updates?

Cheers,

Sebastian