[packagekit] A new filter NEWEST?

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 24 00:45:41 PDT 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> Advice please:
>
> [hughsie at hughsie-laptop src]$ pkcon search name beagle-gui
> available    beagle-gui           i386    0.2.18-1.fc8    fedora       Beagle search system user interface..]
> available    beagle-gui           i386    0.2.18-5.fc8    updates      Beagle search system user interface
> search-name runtime was 3.0 seconds
>
> I only want to show in the UI the newest package. What about a filter
> called NEWEST that filters out the newest (rather than all available)
> versions? Or should all searches only return the newest version (and not
> old versions)?

It is no problem to implement, but is that not what resolve is for ?
IMH, search name should show all matching names (installed and available).
maybe we should define the purpose of pkcon, is it supposed to be a
generic package manager cli tool, like yum or is used to test the
different pk api commands.
if pkcon is supposed to be a package manager cli tool, the i should be
redesigned to take the actions the user what to do and not 1:1 mapping
of the current pk API.

pkcon install beagle-gui
should install the best version of beagle-gui + all needed deps and show
the transaction before perfoming the action.

We should lose the packageId on pkcon, name;version-rel;repo;data sucks
when used in a shell, we can use it behind the scene, but user should
not use it.

if pkcon is a api testing tool, then it should map the api 1:1 as it
does today.

> Do we every want to find _all_ the versions in a repo?

When doing a search yes, but doing a install etc no.
maybe we should add a list command to list the best matches.

Tim