[packagekit] A new filter NEWEST?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 02:38:44 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 08:45 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> It is no problem to implement, but is that not what resolve is for ?
> IMH, search name should show all matching names (installed and available).
> maybe we should define the purpose of pkcon, is it supposed to be a
> generic package manager cli tool, like yum or is used to test the
> different pk api commands.

Well, I think pkcon is a power user tool, and it already does a DIY
resolve on most comments.

> pkcon install beagle-gui
> should install the best version of beagle-gui + all needed deps and show
> the transaction before perfoming the action.

Well it installs the best version already, and shows the user the deps
that are needed to be installed.

> We should lose the packageId on pkcon, name;version-rel;repo;data sucks
> when used in a shell, we can use it behind the scene, but user should
> not use it.

Sure, package_id sucks when shown to a user, it's an implementation
detail. It is very useful for testing tho, so perhaps we should just
remove the <package_id> from the ui and just leave entering a complete
package_id on the command line a real, real, power user mode.

> if pkcon is a api testing tool, then it should map the api 1:1 as it
> does today.
> >
> > Do we every want to find _all_ the versions in a repo?
> >
> When doing a search yes, but doing a install etc no.
> maybe we should add a list command to list the best matches.

I'm not sure what list is, but from what you are saying I think we need
to do:

* Make it clear that SearchName and friends return all results in all
repositories.

* Add a NEWEST filter so the backends know when only to return the
newest packages. The NEWEST filter will fix a lot of the user issues in
pk-application, e.g. "Why are there three versions of The Gimp
available"

I'll get to this today.