[packagekit] Some translation questions

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon Mar 24 12:31:50 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm one of the Finnish Fedora translators and I've been lately working on
getting gnome-packagekit translated to Finnish in time for Fedora 9. There
are some things I'd like to know. I might also post something about
PackageKit to the Fedora translation mailing list in the future, I think all
translators may not be aware of PackageKit being the default in F9.

- What's the preferred way of translating packagekit-gnome? Should the
translations go via the Gnome L10n team of the language? That's how it says
on the web page and it's ok with me, I just want to mention it if I mail the
Fedora list.

- Is there a specific branch we should translate, something that will go into
Fedora 9 and other possible distributions that'll be released soon? Currently
I can only download the HEAD pot file at
<http://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-packagekit>. I merged today's version
with the po file I had which was based on a pot file from maybe five days ago
and there were already quite significant changes.

- I'm personally more a KDE user and so I don't know much about Gnome
development. Is there a way of using Glade or something to see the GUI
without actually running PackageKit? I tested the yum repository for
PackageKit on Fedora 8, but installing PK would also pull in a new version of
yum, I would rather not update yum to an unofficial version.

Then some questions about particular messages:

#: ../src/pk-common-gui.c:960
msgid "Removed package"

#: ../src/pk-common-gui.c:963
msgid "Installed package"

#: ../src/pk-common-gui.c:966
msgid "Installed local file"

#: ../src/pk-common-gui.c:975
msgid "Updated package"

Are these messages some sorts of status messages, like "A package has been
removed/installed/updated" or more descriptive messages, like "This is an
installed/updated package"? I assume the former, but I'd like to make sure,
as the translation in Finnish is different.

#: ../src/pk-install-package.c:188
msgid "Resolving names to packages is not supported"

What is "resolving names to packages" in practice? Resolving what names, file
names?

Thanks in advance!

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio