[packagekit] Some translation questions

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:26:59 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 21:31 +0200, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
> I'm one of the Finnish Fedora translators and I've been lately working on
> getting gnome-packagekit translated to Finnish in time for Fedora 9.

Excellent! Brilliant news.

> - What's the preferred way of translating packagekit-gnome? Should the
> translations go via the Gnome L10n team of the language? That's how it says
> on the web page and it's ok with me, I just want to mention it if I mail the
> Fedora list.

Yes, all translations through gnome svn. I sync svn and internal git
about once a day, so there's no problem with things being out of sync.

> - Is there a specific branch we should translate, something that will go into
> Fedora 9 and other possible distributions that'll be released soon? Currently
> I can only download the HEAD pot file at
> <http://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-packagekit>. I merged today's version
> with the po file I had which was based on a pot file from maybe five days ago
> and there were already quite significant changes.

Please translate HEAD. I'll be releasing another new version before the
freeze with the new UI and localisations. I tend to err on a "release
often" type release schedule as it's a great way of not getting the
project stagnated.

> - I'm personally more a KDE user and so I don't know much about Gnome
> development. Is there a way of using Glade or something to see the GUI
> without actually running PackageKit?

Sure, if you use glade-3 you can open data/*.glade - although some of
the functionality is patched in or removed at run time.

> I tested the yum repository for
> PackageKit on Fedora 8, but installing PK would also pull in a new version of
> yum, I would rather not update yum to an unofficial version.

Sure. It works for me, and you can always just install an old version of
yum using rpm (that's what I've had to do an couple of times).

> Then some questions about particular messages:
>
> #: ../src/pk-common-gui.c:960
> msgid "Removed package"

This is for the transaction history viewer - it's telling us that there
is the past action. There are pk_x_enum_to_localised_present for present
tense and pk_x_enum_to_localised_past for most of the enum values - feel
free to add translator comments where these are not clear.

> Are these messages some sorts of status messages, like "A package has been
> removed/installed/updated" or more descriptive messages, like "This is an
> installed/updated package"? I assume the former, but I'd like to make sure,
> as the translation in Finnish is different.

This is "package has been removed in the past" for the history viewer.

> #: ../src/pk-install-package.c:188
> msgid "Resolving names to packages is not supported"
>
> What is "resolving names to packages" in practice? Resolving what names, file
> names?

Well, maybe resolving isn't a good word to show to the user. Resolving
in practice means finding a single installed or available package that
matches a free form criteria. Maybe "matching" might be a better word --
in the case you identify it's used as an error message and shouldn't
usually be shown. If it is shown, I would hope it's in a bugzilla report
somewhere :-)

Thanks for your work, and please ask the list if there are any more
queries or worries. Thanks.