[packagekit] A new filter NEWEST?

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Mon Mar 31 03:00:34 PDT 2008

* Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> [Mar 29. 2008 10:23]:
> On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 11:12 +0100, Marcin Banasiak wrote:
> >
> > What about GetUpdates? Should it return all packages to update or only
> > the newest one?
>
> GetUpdates should only return the newest package already - it's
> basically saying "if I was to update, what would I be updated to".

The semantics of "if I was to update, what would I be updated to" are
different from "the newest".

If you look at a kernel driver for example, taking the newest driver
might require a kernel update, possibly breaking other drivers.

So I question the value of a 'newest' semantics. Maybe a different
name (like 'best') is more appropriate.

Klaus
---