[packagekit] 0.1.10 feedback

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Mon Mar 31 06:19:47 PDT 2008

I really like the direction that PK is heading but there are some
glitches in 0.1.10 so I decided to sum them up here.

Please note that the only backend I use is poldek so these might be
related - YMMV.

1. When updating the system and one of the packages fail, I get an
error window for a brief moment (around 0.1 seconds) then it
disappears and an "update complete" popup appears.

2. During the update the progress window seems to be stuck at ~100x100
px and all text is ellipsized. There is no way to resize that window.

3. In the above window there is a button that says close. I find a bit
ambiguous. It should either say "perform in background" or "cancel"
depending on what it really does (couldn't check as my system is up to
date now).

4. It could be nice to remember failed upgrades and mark them as such
in the update window (don't try to upgrade again until the
dependencies are satisfied - not sure if this can be done in a sane
manner for all the backends). I know the "repos should not be broken"
mantra but it does not work in real life.

5. There seems to be an error in pl_PL locale where "updates" means
"plural for update" in one place but "replaces" in another. It's
visible in the update details where it lets you compare installed vs
available version.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution