[packagekit] 0.1.10 feedback

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Mon Mar 31 07:27:54 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 15:19 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>  > 1. When updating the system and one of the packages fail, I get an
>  > error window for a brief moment (around 0.1 seconds) then it
>  > disappears and an "update complete" popup appears.
>  Hmm. Could you attach the output of pkmon when this happens please?
>  Thanks.

Tasks:
208;cedeaacd;data	update-package xulrunner;1.8.1.13-1.20080326.1;i686;th-test
Tasks:
208;cedeaacd;data	update-package xulrunner;1.8.1.13-1.20080326.1;i686;th-test
208;cedeaacd;data	Status: setup
Tasks:
208;cedeaacd;data	update-package xulrunner;1.8.1.13-1.20080326.1;i686;th-test
208;cedeaacd;data	Status: running
Tasks:
208;cedeaacd;data	update-package xulrunner;1.8.1.13-1.20080326.1;i686;th-test
208;cedeaacd;data	Status: dep-resolve
208;cedeaacd;data	Error: transaction-error, Cannot update
xulrunner-1.8.1.13-1.20080326.1.i686
Tasks:
208;cedeaacd;data	update-package xulrunner;1.8.1.13-1.20080326.1;i686;th-test
208;cedeaacd;data	Status: finished
208;cedeaacd;data	Finished: failed, 831ms

>  > 2. During the update the progress window seems to be stuck at ~100x100
>  > px and all text is ellipsized. There is no way to resize that window.
>  Is it better with git? The window is now resizable iirc.

Can't check ATM as I'm away from my laptop.

>  > 3. In the above window there is a button that says close. I find a bit
>  > ambiguous. It should either say "perform in background" or "cancel"
>  > depending on what it really does (couldn't check as my system is up to
>  > date now).
>  Yes, valid point. What about leaving the button as close, but making the
>  tooltip "Close this window and continue in the background"?

I think renaming the button "Hide" would do a better job if you want
to avoid using long captions. I was also wondering if the button is
needed at all if it does the same as the window's close button. I mean
it's not a read-write operation and you don't have "close" button in
gnome-system-monitor which does a pretty similar thing from the user's
point of view.

>  > 4. It could be nice to remember failed upgrades and mark them as such
>  > in the update window (don't try to upgrade again until the
>  > dependencies are satisfied - not sure if this can be done in a sane
>  > manner for all the backends). I know the "repos should not be broken"
>  > mantra but it does not work in real life.
>  No, I don't think this is a good idea - if the security update failed to
>  be installed, then it should remain in the tray and the update viewer
>  tool.

Sure it should remain in the tray but if failed once it will fail
again unless one of the repos is updated with new packages. So unless
a refresh yields new packages, retrying an upgrade will only result in
the transaction log getting bigger. That's why I suggest leaving the
tray as it is but unchecking the once-failed updates until the next
refresh.

>  > 5. There seems to be an error in pl_PL locale where "updates" means
>  > "plural for update" in one place but "replaces" in another. It's
>  > visible in the update details where it lets you compare installed vs
>  > available version.
>  Ahh, translation errors should go through the GNOME translation team. If
>  there needs to be more translation comments (to add context for
>  instance), feel free to use git, and I'll sync up to svn for the
>  translators.

I'm not complaining about translation, just suggesting to add a
comment that clarifies the context. I'm still resistant to becoming a
PK developer due to having many projects to look after so I can't push
the change myself. ;)

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution