[packagekit] an honest look at gnome-packagekit

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Thu May 8 07:33:35 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

>> c) The main point is to fight the "multiple resizing and jumping
>> windows" syndrome.
>> The progress window is just too busy.
>
> Right, we need to fix the resizing and do more ellipsing. (sp?)

Even with a perfect progress dialog, the main point still stands.
The sudden change of hiding the main window, and showing a differently
sized progress dialog with a lot of activity in it is one example of
the ui 'demanding attention when it should get out of the way'.

Showing the progress indication inside the update list was meant as
way to avoid the need for a yet another window and centralize things
more.

If we must have a progress dialog, then we should only show it when
the user actively looks for the status of the operation (ie when
selecting one of the queued operations from the menu on the other
status icon).