[packagekit] an honest look at gnome-packagekit

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Thu May 8 22:39:32 PDT 2008

Hi,

> Sure, I always wanted this, but GtkUnique/GUnique was never quite
> finished. Yell if you can think of a way out of this.

The update viewer could take a name on the session bus and offer an
interface with a method to present itself to the user.

At the top of main() try to take that name (say
org.gnome.PackageKit.UpdateViewer) on the session bus.

If it's already taken, call the method (say the Show method on the
org.gnome.PackageKit.UpdateViewer interface or the
/org/gnome/PackageKit/UpdateViewer object) and exit.

If it's not already taken, do whatever you do now.

One detail is to make sure the Show method takes the timestamp of the
user event that prompted the update viewer to start so focus stealing
prevention doesn't break.

--Ray