[packagekit] FOSScamp discussion notes

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue May 20 06:39:33 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 15:15 +0200, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
> - there was a bit of discussion about interactivity during the transaction:
>   * this is an issue for dpkg-based backend (debconf, debian packaging policy
> assumes tty to be available ?)

Right, with this issue I think it's sane to just reject to install any
package that needs a tty (rather than using debconf). You can still use
dpkg or apt to install the legacy package, just not with the gpk-*
tools. We can even point the user at a help page

>   * libzypp backend faces the challenge as well as it works in
> download/install/download/install mode

Sure, the zypp backend can use the standard error interactions for EULA
and GPG callbacks. See
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-reference.html#introduction-ideas-transactions

>   * mime type handlers (although there is issue with the purpose, does user
> ask for viewer or editor?)

Very good point. At the moment for fedora we are going to add rpm
provides for the file extension and mimetype - but this of course won't
specify an editor or a viewer.

>   * API for ISVs (install documentation issue across multiple distributions)

A big plus.

> - it seems there is a need to have the query interface for drivers/codecs/...
> standardized, most probably on freedesktop.org

Do you think we need such a thing? It's like trying to standardise
package names, I just don't hink it's going to happen.

> - it would be nice to have PackageKit frontend for 1-click install

Talking to the Red Hat security guys they were very unhappy with this -
potentially many many problems with security. What primary usecases do
you think 1 click install will accoumplish?