[packagekit] FOSScamp discussion notes

Stanislav Visnovsky visnov at suse.cz
Tue May 20 07:37:10 PDT 2008

Dňa Tuesday 20 May 2008 15:39:33 Richard Hughes ste napísal:
> On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 15:15 +0200, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
> > - there was a bit of discussion about interactivity during the
> > transaction: * this is an issue for dpkg-based backend (debconf, debian
> > packaging policy assumes tty to be available ?)
>
> Right, with this issue I think it's sane to just reject to install any
> package that needs a tty (rather than using debconf). You can still use
> dpkg or apt to install the legacy package, just not with the gpk-*
> tools. We can even point the user at a help page
>
> >   * libzypp backend faces the challenge as well as it works in
> > download/install/download/install mode
>
> Sure, the zypp backend can use the standard error interactions for EULA
> and GPG callbacks. See
> http://www.packagekit.org/pk-reference.html#introduction-ideas-transactions
>
> >   * mime type handlers (although there is issue with the purpose, does
> > user ask for viewer or editor?)
>
> Very good point. At the moment for fedora we are going to add rpm
> provides for the file extension and mimetype - but this of course won't
> specify an editor or a viewer.

I forgot to add that the desktop file standard also covers this issue, so
there might be something to share.

> >   * API for ISVs (install documentation issue across multiple
> > distributions)
>
> A big plus.
>
> > - it seems there is a need to have the query interface for
> > drivers/codecs/... standardized, most probably on freedesktop.org
>
> Do you think we need such a thing? It's like trying to standardise
> package names, I just don't hink it's going to happen.

E.g. for device drivers, there are already unique identification standards
that might be used. For codecs, mime-type might be the way to go, etc.

For app plugins, we might end up with interface
quering '<application-name>:<app-specific-extension>', not much thought put
into this though.

> > - it would be nice to have PackageKit frontend for 1-click install
>
> Talking to the Red Hat security guys they were very unhappy with this -
> potentially many many problems with security. What primary usecases do
> you think 1 click install will accoumplish?

From user POV, 1-click is cool. It is one of the easiest way to provide 3rd
party software not available in the standard distro repositories.

Stano