[packagekit] PackageKit multiple selection choice ...

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue May 20 08:26:27 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 09:20 -0600, marians at softhome.net wrote:
> Sorry for bothering but...
>
> Since it seems there is no direct link to any forum related to PackageKit I
> can only hope you will forward the message to someone who can answer my
> questions...

I've cc'd the mailing list, we don't do forums as they don't scale very
well.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageKitFaq

> b.) (You may consider this one a bug-report)
> Right after booting, my Fedora 9 informed me that there are updates
> available. Ok, I reviewed the updated packages and pressed the button.
> Nothing, absolutely nothing happened. And I tried this several times. I
> logged out and re-looged in. I had to use Yum Extender in order to perform
> the update.

Are you logged in as root?

> c.) PackageKit works together with PolicyKit. Ok, I got that. But... by
> default the root user "does not have enough rights" to perform package
> installations while a john-doe user using "su" ... can. How's that ? I mean,
> root is root. It is the god-user of that computer. What if, as an exercise,
> let's just say, I don't want any other user accounts on that PC ?
> Is root doomed to an explicit setting in PolicyKit in order to be allowed to
> perform these tasks ?!?

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageKitFaq - security sensitive
applications shouldn't be run as root when using GTK+ - it's just not
secure.

> Once again, many excuses for bothering you with such questions.
> Still, I can only hope you will give me (and others) some answers...

Condescending tone noted.