[packagekit] Getting and setting the proxy server

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue May 20 08:31:46 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 16:54 +0200, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
> > I think packagekitd should read /etc/sysconfig/proxy et al. and use
> > these in envp for the new process. This way we can change the proxy in
> > the session and also have packagekit do the right thing.
>
> Hmm, it seems as if proxy setting are highly distribution specific.
> Retrieving them through the backend seems to be a natural place to me.

backend specific != distro specific. There's nothing stopping me using
yum on opensuse or zypp on fedora. I think the best thing to do is to
teach PK about the different distro system wide proxy files, and use
these in preference to packagekit.conf.

What about (in packagekit.conf):

UseSystemDefaultProxy=true

when set, the proxy is got from /etc/sysconfig/proxy (or whatever), if
not set then the PK system wide proxy settings are used, and then users
preference, in that order?

> > Could you attach a sample /etc/sysconfig/proxy for me to peruse please?
>
> Find the one for openSUSE attached, it's fully commented.

Cheers.