[packagekit] FOSScamp discussion notes

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Tue May 20 09:04:22 PDT 2008

Am Dienstag, den 20.05.2008, 16:37 +0200 schrieb Stanislav Visnovsky:

> > > - it seems there is a need to have the query interface for
> > > drivers/codecs/... standardized, most probably on freedesktop.org
> >
> > Do you think we need such a thing? It's like trying to standardise
> > package names, I just don't hink it's going to happen.
>
> E.g. for device drivers, there are already unique identification standards
> that might be used. For codecs, mime-type might be the way to go, etc.
>
> For app plugins, we might end up with interface
> quering '<application-name>:<app-specific-extension>', not much thought put
> into this though.

I don't see the need for a central database. I cannot believe that there
is really such a large number of applications that would like to install
additional software.

So I think that it makes more sense to just a include a patch with the
distribution specific mapping in the corresponding package.

Cheers