[packagekit] Question / Suggestion

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Fri May 30 02:39:15 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> My main question would be: why do you need to use it?

While many wide deployments use local package caches and possibly
local repos, many single deployments are hosted in locations with poor
network links. See below.

> Packagekit is designed around several loose use-cases, so if you can
> find a use case for this functionality (other than "it's cool" :-) then
> we can start talking about how we can add the functionality to
> PackageKit to fulfil the use case.

Joe works as a sysop in a small company. He has to manage Jane's
computer but no enterprise-grade remote administration tools are
available. He does not want Jane to install software on her own but
the poor DSL link means each visit to her desk takes up to several
hours if a new version of OpenOffice is available. He'd like to
configure PackageKit to automatically download packages when the
computer is idle but stop the installation until he comes by and
cherry-picks the updates.

Rachel uses a mixed plan for her phone line. This means she has free
internet access between 10 PM and 10 AM. As she uses an unstable
distribution line, she'd like PackageKit to download the updates
overnight and let her install the software the next afternoon, when
she gets home.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution